Thursday, June 12, 2008

Week one at my new job!

Ok so it's been quite a while since I've updated...mostly because I've been so exhausted from work when I get home....but in a good way!!!

Ok so I will just recap each day here.

Monday was my first day and I wasn't nervous at all...just really excited!! It was a pretty standard "first day"....we did paperwork, orientation, ice breakers, building tours....etc. The most exciting part of our day was learning where we will be training!! I got put in women's hosiery (which includes pantyhose, socks, slippers, tights, and beach flip flops). I'm really excited because I not only get to learn about a women's business (which I know nothing about),but also I get to learn about a basics business (instead of a more fashion driven business).

Tuesday was a little better. We did "retailology 101" in the morning, which was kind of like an introduction to macys and the retail world. It was cool though because it was in a game format...so we split up into teams and played back and forth quiz questions. Then did a role playing like game. It was kind of like "pick your ending" stories, except with retail scenerios and a dice. Example: if you roll a 1 2 or 3, your predicitions for tailored leather jackets in black was right on, if you roll a 4 5 or 6, you had bad luck because Halle Balle showed up to the people choice awards in a lime green unstructured jacket and that is what evryone wants, not your black jackets!! It was good because it showed how unpredictable and uncontrollable the retail world is, and how much a little miscalculation can effect your bottom line.

After lunch we learned how to map our drives, use lotus notes, the mainframe system, etc. Then we got to watch an hour long interactive sexual harassment DVD (yayyyy) haha!

Wednesday was even better...! We started out with a game about Macy's and the principles of our corporation, then learned about the four target customers of Macy's. THEN we got to walk to the Perimeter Center store across the street and walk the floor with some other assistant buyers. The AB I was with used to live in Richmond!! After lunch in the food court, we went back and had a course on financial analysis and we got to see some of the screens we will be using to run reports.

Today was by far the best day! In the morning we took an "intermediate excel" class and I learned quite a few tricks. Then we got to have a question and answer session with some other ABs about the job and what our buyer will expect from us. THEN we got lunch (provided by the company...fajitas, yum!) and got to meet our coaches and the buying office we will be working in!!! My coach is Megan Wilson, and she is so great! She really knows her stuff and I can tell I will be learning a lot by working with her. My buyer and planner are really nice too, even my DMM (who is above the buyer) was so welcoming and not intimidating at all. We went and walked the floor for our division, and went over her expectations of me and vice versa. I also got to sit in on the last part of a style out which was really interesting! This is a great time for us to be starting because we are getting ready to do all the holiday assortments and ads so we will see the craziest part of they year in the next few months!!! After work we had our first happy hour as a group...and I got $2.50 Margaritas. YUM!

Another fun thing I did this week was went bowling with my cousin Steven! We joined a bowling league so every Wednesday night we will be bowling! I bowled a 142 (yay!!!), a 90 (Boo) and like a 114. Hopefully next week I will be a little more consistent, haha!

Ok its time for friends then bed, tomorrow is my last day of the week!! I can't wait until Monday, we get to spend a whole half day in our buying office, yay!

Everyone have a great weekend!!!! :)

1 comment:

Sara said...

Sounds like you've been keeping really busy, but having a good time as well. :) Miss you girlie!